After countless advocacy letters, consultations, submissions and meetings with government officials, we can finally proclaim victory on the repeal much of Bill 6.
Bill 6 was labour legislation disguised as farm safety that forced agri-businesses, farms and ranch to comply with urban workplace legislation that did not mesh with the unique realities of running a farm or ranch in Alberta.
CFIB was successful on getting the government to make some changes to Bill 6 including, exempting family farms from WCB coverage originally proposed on Bill 6, and exemption on some employment standards.
Now CFIB can claim victory with the Farm Freedom and Safety Act!
The new legislation better reflects the realities of operating a farm or ranch in Alberta. Changes include:
- Reduced red tape for farmers and ranchers;
- Recognizing that work must be done outside of the typical 9-5 workday to keep operating;
- Allows employers to have options for workplace insurance;
- Reinstates the farm and ranch sector exemption from the Labour Relations Code; and
- Grants greater flexibility in meeting labour and employment standards.
Your input through the Farm Freedom and Safety consultation helped inform and make government implement these changes. CFIB will continue to advocate for our agri-businesses members and ensure government understand their unique business.
As always, we want to hear from you! If there is anything specific you would like us to voice on your behalf, please reach out to us via email or call us at 1-866-444-9290.
Not a member of CFIB yet? JOIN CFIB today for more help and information.