This year business groups were initially shut out of pre-budget meetings in Alberta. Persistance and strength in numbers pays off because Minister Joe Ceci finally accepted our invitation mid-February.
Read CFIB's full submission based on feedback we received from over a thousand business owners who responded to CFIB’s 2017-18 Alberta Budget survey.
DISCUSSING PRE-BUDGET PRIORITIES
CFIB’s main recommendations for the Alberta Budget are:
- Introduce a credible plan to balance the budget
- Reduce government operational expenditures
- Make the carbon tax completely revenue neutral (i.e. reduce small business corporate income tax further)
- Examine all policies through a small business lens (i.e. changes to WCB, labour code, employment standards and Occupational Health and Safety etc.)
- Make progress on red tape reduction. Legislate red tape accountability with:
- Annual measurements and public reporting of the regulatory burden
- Constraints on regulatory burden growth (one-for-one)
- Clear political leadership at the cabinet table
— Amber Ruddy (@aruddy) February 17, 2017