Skip to main content

The federal carbon tax is coming to Alberta – here’s what you need to know

The federal carbon tax will be applied to businesses and consumers on January 1, 2020. CFIB is here to help you navigate these news rules and navigate exemptions.

Mandatory registration is required for business that is a distributor of fuel, importer of fuel, user of combustible waste, air carrier or marine carrier.

If you are a farmer, fisher, or greenhouse operator, you may be able to benefit from partial or full relief of the fuel charge at the time of delivery if you provide an exemption certificate to your distributor. This certificate permits the delivery of the fuel without having the fuel charge applied at that time.

Cardlocks will require your exemption certificate when you purchase fuel. If you do not supply your certificate the federal fuel charge will apply. Customers must provide a copy of the exemption certificate to their cardlock and retain a copy of the certificate to avoid paying the fuel charge!

CFIB has a helpful post that guides members through mandatory registration, exemptions forms and other useful links. Click here for more information on how to navigate the federal carbon tax.

You can reach the CRA at [email protected] for fuel charge questions. If you still have outstanding questions, please CFIB Alberta Business Resources at 1-888-234-2232 or email us at [email protected].

December 10, 2019

Related Documents