Northwest Territories Government Updates, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- As of April 1, the minimum wage will increase from $12.50 to $13.46. This sets the Northwest Territories with the third highest minimum wage in Canada.
- After the GNWT budget address highlighted low revenues and the smallest operating surplus in seven years, MLAs Julie Green and Kevin O’Reilly suggested that big changes need to be made to tackle these issues. Adding another tax bracket, increasing corporate income tax, and increasing royalty rates were a few ideas raised. Let us know how this may affect your business by emailing [email protected]
- Does your business deal with petroleum regulations? Good news, the GNWT is asking for feedback from stakeholders and the public regarding updating this legislation which has some laws that are no longer relevant. Written submissions can be sent to [email protected], and, if you can, please Cc us at [email protected] so we can ensure your voice is being heard.
A new CFIB team working for you
- You have a new legislative team to help the odds of your business success. Samantha Howard and Catherine Lopushinsky have taken over CFIB’s advocacy and business counselling efforts in the Northwest Territories. Amber Ruddy and Jennifer Henshaw have reluctantly passed us the torch, and we look forward to learning from you how we can best support you in your community. We will be visiting the Northwest Territories in the coming months and would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to discuss the issues that you are facing as a business owner. We look forward to hearing from you!
- March is Fraud Awareness Month. Be sure to read CFIB’s tips and tricks to protect your business from fraudulent activity!
As always, we would like to hear directly from you on the topics/issues that are concerning you and your local business community. Hearing directly from you helps us shape our advocacy efforts and ensures we are hitting the right mark. If you have questions, concerns, and/or are seeking business support, please email us at [email protected].