On day four of CFIB’s 9th annual Red Tape Awareness Week™ we released findings that found 93% of you say your regulatory burden is growing.
According to CFIB’s survey, confusing forms, bad customer service and excessive government regulations are leaving you feeling burnt out, and the problem is getting worse.
Impact of excessive regulations on farmers include:
- 83% say red tape adds significant stress to your lives
- 73% say it significantly reduces productivity in your business
- 70% say it discourages you from growing your business
- 64% say your business has been negatively impacted by delays caused by regulations (compared to 56% of small business owners generally).
- Nearly 40% say you would not advice your children to start a business given the burden of government red tape
We know you have no issue with the legitimate rules and we all agree a certain amount of regulation is important to protect human health and the environment.
But red tape is something else; it can be contradictory information from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), a dumb rule from Fisheries and Oceans or a mandatory Statistics Canada survey that you are forced to complete right in the middle of seeding.
You don’t have time to sit on the phone waiting for government to answer questions or fill out piles of confusing paperwork in the middle of calving. It all adds up to a lot of wasted time and money!
While some governments are doing a better job than others in reducing unnecessary red tape, there is still a lot of work to be done so you can continue growing high quality food for all Canadians.
Got a red tape headache? Do you have an example of a dumb or ridiculous rule that you think should be fixed? Call us today - We need to hear your examples, big or small, about a confusing process, unclear rules and/or poor or rude customer service.