Road construction is a major irritant for many of you. It causes a drop in sales, adds additional costs to your operations and becomes a source of stress. The very survival of your business might even be at stake. So we have decided to tackle the problem.
We challenged municipalities across the country to adopt a coherent construction mitigation policy, including a compensation program for the worst cases.
Congratulations to Montreal, the first city to accept our challenge! Montreal’s financial assistance program for business owners will be retroactive to January 1, 2016, and represents an investment of $25 million.
If you have a business in Montreal and your activities have been or are being disrupted by major roadwork, here’s what you need to know:
- Your financial losses will be reimbursed at 85 percent, up to a yearly maximum of $30,000.
- You can present your application starting ion mid-January 2019.
- The first reimbursements will be made in the spring of 2019.
- The application process has been simplified and you will just have to submit your tax returns and your GST/QST reports.
- You will be able to submit your application electronically.
Do you have questions about the program? Call your Business Counsellors, he can for help you!
We are continuing our work and encourage all municipalities to follow Montreal’s example, because Montreal is not the only place where roadwork affects businesses. Small businesses throughout the country need their elected municipal officials to show leadership and take action on this matter