The BC government is currently seeking your feedback on recycling and the environment. While we will be submitting on your behalf, we encourage you to e-mail the provincial government with your thoughts.
The consultation focuses on four areas:
1. Should there be bans on single-use packaging (e.g. plastic bags, straws, containers)
2. How can we reduce single-use plastic in landfills and waterways
3. Should the deposit-refund system for plastic bottle and beverage containers be expanded
4. How can we reduce plastic waste overall
Some of the government’s proposals for this consultation could have a significant impact on your business, such as:
- Bans on single-use plastic items (especially when safe, alternatives have not been identified, or the cost on businesses has not been evaluated)
- Increasing the refundable deposit fee for all containers (including products like milk cartons) to 10 cents
- Increase Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) to further regulate recycling of packaging and paper products (i.e. expand the types of plastic products producers are required to collect for recycling)
Write to us at [email protected] with your thoughts, and we will include them in our submission!