Winnipeg, March 7, 2019 – The Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB) will be at the Manitoba Legislative Building this afternoon to offer small business’ reaction to the 2019 Manitoba Budget. CFIB’s Director of Provincial Affairs, Jonathan Alward will be available in the rotunda immediately after the budget is tabled.
CFIB met with Finance Minister Scott Fielding in November, 2018 to discuss small business priorities for the 2019 Manitoba Budget. In December, 2018, CFIB also met separately with members of the Leader of the Opposition, Wab Kinew and Leader of the Manitoba Liberal Party, Dougald Lamont to outline key priorities on behalf of CFIB’s 4,800 Manitoba small- and medium-sized business members.
CFIB’s Top 2019 Pre-Budget Recommendations include:
Deliver tax relief for small business (without a carbon tax):
Short-term (before 2020):
- Reduce the PST and expand the exemption base
- Increase the BPE by $2,020 and keep personal income tax brackets indexed
- Raise the Manitoba payroll tax exemption and index it to inflation
- Eliminate the $5,000 cap on the Farmland School Tax Rebate program
Boldly getting back to balanced budgets:
- Balance the budget by no later than 2022, without further tax increases:
- Limit short-term spending growth to less than current projections (2%)
- Outline and publicly release a multi-year plan to return to balanced budgets
Continue reducing red tape:
- Continue ongoing work to reduce red tape:
- Renew and expand the Red Tape Reduction Task Force
- Continue to bring forward annual red tape reductions through a legislative vehicle with a focus on reducing red tape for small businesses
- Introduce a Taxpayer Fairness and Service Code
To arrange an interview with Jonathan Alward, please call 1-888-234-2232 or 204-982-0817 or email [email protected]. You can also follow CFIB Manitoba on Twitter @cfibMB.
The Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB) is Canada’s largest association of small and medium-sized businesses with 110,000 members (4,800 in Manitoba) across every industry and region. CFIB is dedicated to increasing business owners’ chances of success by driving policy change at all levels of government, providing expert advice and tools, and negotiating exclusive savings.