A new CFIB backgrounder shows that although a majority of small business owners said their workers are the most important factor in the success of their business, they are struggling to find new candidates of the same quality: two-thirds of business owners surveyed said that the quality of job applicants has declined.
A full 88% of small business employers said the main barrier to hiring was a lack of qualified applicants.
Employers reported observing certain behaviours in their employees that are drags on productivity:
- 61% said employees spend too much time on personal phone calls, emails, and texting during work hours.
- 55% said gossiping or chatting with colleagues negatively affects productivity.
- 40% said excessive or repeated lateness has a negative impact on productivity.
The survey asked employers to provide advice for job seekers. Highlights include:
- Prepare a short, simple resume. Above all, ensure there are zero spelling or grammatical errors.
- Leave the PJs & flip flops at home. Come dressed appropriately to the nature of the work you are considering. Be clean and well-groomed.
- Don’t have mom talk for you in interviews.