As an employer, you play an important role in preventing workplace injuries and promoting a safe and healthy workplace. In fact, under the Nova Scotia Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHS), you have a legal obligation to properly inform, instruct and supervise your employees and to do everything you reasonably can to protect them.
Nova Scotia Occupational Health and Safety requirements differ depending on the number of employees employed by a business. This includes multiple locations.
Every employer needs the following to be compliant:
- Posted Nova Scotia OHS Act.
- Posted Nova Scotia OHS contact information sheet.
- A posted Emergency Communication procedure.
- Copy of the WHMIS/GHS regulations.
- A Trained first aid provider.
- A first aid kit appropriate to the size and type of business you have.
- A posted copy of your workplace violence prevention statement.
In addition to the above list, you have further requirements based on number of employees you have.
I have 1 to 5 employees:
- Post a written Health and Safety Policy – not necessary but recommended.
I have 5 to 19 employees:
- Post a written Health and Safety Policy.
- Assign a Health and Safety representative and post their name and contact information.
I have more than 20 employees:
- Post a written health and safety policy.
- Assign a Health and Safety Committee.
- Create a Health and Safety Program with the Health and Safety Committee.
- Post the names of the current OHS committee members and how they may be contacted.
- Hold and post the minutes of the OHS committee meetings.
Get help with Occupational Health and Safety compliance: You can contact the NS OHS division at 1-800-952-2687 or visit their Small Business Safety Toolkit.
CFIB is here to help you!
In addition to health and safety requirements, there are several other compliance measures your business should be considering. You can always contact Business Resources for further information, examples of a Health and Safety Policy, Emergency Communication Procedure, or for more details on any Occupational Health and Safety issues at 1.888.234.2232 or email us at [email protected]