If you want to hire a student for the summer months the Newfoundland and Labrador Student Summer Employment Program is now accepting applications from interested employers in the private and not-for-profit sectors.
The Student Summer Employment Program (SSEP) provides funding to employers in Newfoundland and Labrador to assist in creating summer employment for students. There are two separate programs:
SSEP – Post-secondary – application deadline May 7, 2018
- Open to employers in both the private and not-for-profit sectors;
- Aimed at post-secondary students who are legally entitled to work in Canada and who will be entering or returning to post-secondary education in the upcoming school year
- Subsidy periods can be for 5 to 12 weeks. For the employer to keep the subsidy, the student must work at least 25 hours per week.
- For more information, and application instructions, please visit the provincial government website: SSEP – Post-secondary
SSEP – High School - application deadline May 22, 2018
- Open to employers in the not-for-profit sector:
- Aimed at students enrolled in Level I, II, or III during the 2017/2018 school year and who are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- The maximum subsidy period is 8 weeks with a minimum of 4 weeks. For the employer to keep the subsidy, the student must work at least 20 hours per week.
- For more information, and application instructions, please visit the provincial government website: SSEP – High School
For both programs, employers must:
- Be incorporated and have a Canada revenue Agency business number.
- Be in good standing with the Registry of Companies.
- Have an office/location in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Submit activity and financial reports, and a copy of the payroll for the student within 30 calendar day s of the end of the agreement end date.