Hiring co-op students is a cost-effective strategy for small businesses looking for motivated, qualified staff. These programs give students the chance to apply their classroom knowledge to a work setting and gain hands-on experience.
Your business can benefit by:
- Accessing a pool of highly skilled and qualified individuals
- Reducing your recruitment and training costs
- Filling temporary or short-term staffing
- Developing and training your future employees
- Building your company’s reputation as a leader in your sector
- Gaining fresh ideas from the students
Placements are typically four month terms, depending on the discipline, and begin in May, September, and January.
Employers hiring co-op students and graduates may be eligible for up to $5,000 per student from the Paid Work Experience Tax Credits.
Co-op programs are offered in many disciplines:
- University of Manitoba: Engineering, Business, Agriculture and Food Sciences, Environmental Studies and Sciences, Physical Geography, Computer Science and General Sciences
- University of Winnipeg: all disciplines
- Red River College: Business Information Technology, Chemical and Biosciences Technology, Civil Engineering Technology, Greenspace Management, Hospitality, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Technical Communications, Cabinetry and Woodworking Technology
- Canadian Mennonite University: Business administration
Hiring a co-op student begins by clicking on the above websites!
CFIB’s Business Counsellors are available to answer CFIB members’ questions. Call us at 1-888-234-2232 or email us at [email protected]