The Alberta government passed Bill 17: The Fair and Family-Friendly Workplaces Act on January 1, 2018, these changes will impact businesses and employees in Alberta.
Here are some highlights:
- Under the new changes, it is banked at a ratio of 1:1.5
General holiday pay
- General holiday pay will be calculated at 5% of wages, general holiday pay and vacation pay earned in the 4 weeks immediately before the holiday
- Employees will no longer need to have worked 30 days prior to the holiday to be eligible for general holiday pay
- There will be no distinction between regular and non-regular days of work
Protected Unpaid Leave of Absences
- New unpaid, job-protected leaves was added into Employment Standards (bereavement leave, Long-Term Illness and Injury Leave, Personal and Family Responsibility Leave)
Youth Employment (effective date pending)
- Youth under the age of 13 will not be allowed to work as employees unless employed in artistic endeavours with a permit
CFIB is proud to introduce a webinar that was hosted by McLennan Ross' Labour & Employment Practice Group on these new employment changes. This webinar went over in detail the Employment Standards changes.
Not a member of CFIB yet? JOIN CFIB today for more help and information.