The Saskatchewan government announced new regulations to better protect late-night retail workers from violence in the workplace that came into effect on January 8, 2013. The new regulations for late-night retail premises include:
- Safe cash handling procedures
- Use of video cameras
- The provision of good visibility and signage for all late-night retail premises
- Requirements for a check-in system and personal emergency transmitters to be provided to all workers working alone in late-night retail establishments.
The Ministry of Labour Relations and Workplace Safety will conduct a series of information sessions across the province to educate employers, workers and stakeholders on the new legislation.
For more information, please refer to the following resources:
- Saskatchewan government news release
- Labour Relations and Workplace Safety website www.lrws.gov.sk.ca
- CFIB’s letter outlining practical solutions to ensure the workplace is safe, instead of new regulations.
For our members who would like to discuss how this may affect your business, or if you would like help understanding the new regulations, please call Business Resources at 1 888-234-2232.