BC Wildfire Support

For your business

Tax remittance

If your business has been affected by the fires, you can apply for tax remittance relief from the CRA and PST Branch while you navigate these difficult times. Please follow the link provided for steps on how file for relief with the CRA. For PST, CFIB has been in touch with the Branch. Taxpayers have been instructed to call the General Enquires number at 1-877-388-4440, to communicate to the Ministry that they have been impacted by the wildfires.

Emergency Preparedness

If your business has not been affected by the fires, however, you are located in an area where it may be at risk, now is the perfect time to formulate an Emergency Preparedness plan, should the unthinkable happen. If you do not currently have a plan in place, or don’t know where to begin, please follow this link to access a template.

Business Insurance

This is also a good time to review your business insurance to confirm whether or not you have wildfire coverage. Many insurance plans claim to cover fire damage, however in some cases this is only applicable to fire that was caused by the actions of the business or arson. Often, “acts of nature” are not included in business insurance plans unless specifically requested. Contact your business insurance provider today to ensure that your business is covered. If not, you may still be able to add this coverage.

Farming/ Agriculture

Your livelihood is your livestock. The BC Cattlemen’s Association is connecting ranchers who need to move their livestock with people who can help get horses and smaller animals out of evacuation areas with trailers. Additionally, there is a Facebook group, BC’s Emergency Livestock /Animal Evacuation Group has been created to connect those in need to those who can help. A wildfire animal rescue map has been set up to help plot out exact locations where people can offer trailers or pasture to people in need as well as plot out if they need trailers or trucks to haul livestock. Farmers who have been unable to have their livestock transported, have, in some cases, opened their gates to allow the animals to flee, with plans to round them up after the fires are extinguished.


If your business is affected by the wildfire, your employees will need the ability to collect Employment Insurance (EI). If you currently pay into EI, you will need this ability as well. To be prepared for this potential necessity, or to file an application, please visit this link.

Temporary Foreign Workers 

Impacted employers who employ temporary foreign workers should note that periods of work stoppage, unemployment, or a weekly hour reduction, can be offset by periods of work that enable a worker to have an average of 30 hours per week over the entire employment period.  
Employers who make the business decision to keep workers are expected to make up any income gaps if the circumstances prevent a worker from meeting a 30-hour average work week over the employment period. This may require an employer to top up workers’ pay to meet the average of 30 hours per week over the employment period. This is not required during weeks where workers receive income supports.  
Temporary foreign workers are subject to provincial and, when applicable, federal employment regulations. Employers can legally layoff workers should a work stoppage make it impossible for the employer to fulfill their obligations under the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). However, under these circumstances, employers remain responsible for fulfilling other obligations under the LMIA, such as providing return airfare to workers where this is a Program requirement. 
Should this not be feasible, if you have any questions, or need help with the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, please contact the Employer Contact Centre.  

Work-sharing Program

The Work-sharing Program has put special measures in place for businesses impacted by the wildfires. These measures are in place from June 25, 2023, through to November 4, 2023, for new, existing, and past (terminated an agreement within the past 28 weeks) employers who:

  • Are located in affected areas and/or
  • Have major customers and/or suppliers located in wildfire-affected areas

Work-Sharing Wildfire Special Measures flexibilities:

  • decrease in business activity can be attributable to the Wildfires
  • mandatory cooling-off period between Work-Sharing agreements is waived
  • work reduction over the life of the agreement may exceed 60% but must be at least 10%
  • recovery measures may focus on the business’ recovery from the impact of the Wildfires

More information is available on the Work-sharing Program website or by e-mailing edsc.dgop.tp.rep-res.ws.pob.esdc@servicecanada.gc.ca 

For your house/personal

Home Insurance

Just like business insurance, you will want to get in touch with your home insurance provider to ensure that your house is covered for wildfire damage. This is much more common to be included in home insurance, however, it is always best to confirm. Additionally, if you have not catalogued good in your house that you would like insured (that you would not be able to bring with you in an evacuation), now is a good time to do so. Take a picture of the item and receipt (if available) and write a description.

Emergency Evacuation Plan

Wildfires can move fast. If you have kids, pets or a significant other, it is important to have an emergency evacuation plan in place, including: multiple evacuation routes planned (should one be closed), a house exit strategy, plus “ditch kits” (i.e., an overnight bag prepared in case you need to grab and run, including non-perishable foods and water). Know where you are going to go. Do you have family or friends you can stay with? Call them now to confirm so you don’t have to scramble and fight for hotel space. Having a plan in place will help you to maintain your calm and be prepared.


CMHC encourages homeowners to contact their financial institution at the first sign of difficulty to discuss their individual situations and options.

CMHC provides lenders with options for homeowners that may be impacted by these unfortunate events including:

  • Deferral of payment
  • Re-amortization of the loan, to result in lower payments
  • Capitalization of outstanding interest arrears and other eligible      expenses
  • Special payment arrangements
  • A combination of the above

Given the circumstances, CMHC has provided lenders with added flexibility to make these special arrangements quickly. For more information, homeowners may also consult “How to Deal with Mortgage Payment Difficulties” on our website.


In some cases, pets are left behind due to not being able to find them in an emergency, or not being able to fit them. The Canadian Disaster Animal Response Team (CDART) is a non-profit organization that goes into at risk or affected communities and aids in the safe evacuation of your furry friends. If you will need assistance or currently need their help, please visit the link provided and contact them as soon as possible.

Trip Planning

If you are planning to drive anywhere in BC, you will want to ensure that your route is safe. Many times when wildfires flare up, roads can be closed without notice, please reference this interactive map, in real time (refreshed every 25 seconds) to see if the wildfires will affect your trip.

Other questions not addressed here

The BC Provincial Government has a webpage dedicated to wildfires and what to do/what you need to know. There is information here to help you in case of emergency.

If you want to help

Finally, if you would like to support fellow small business owners and those affected by the fires, the BC Government has recommended donating to the Canadian Red Cross online or you can text FIRES to 45678 to donate $10 to the Canadian Red Cross BC Fires Appeal.