Northwest Territories Wildfire Support

For your business

Tax remittance

If your business has been affected by the fires, you can apply for tax remittance relief from the CRA while you navigate these difficult times. Please follow the link provided for steps on how file for relief with the CRA. 

Emergency Preparedness

If your business has not been affected by the fires, however, you are located in an area where it may be at risk, now is the perfect time to formulate an Emergency Preparedness plan, should the unthinkable happen. If you do not currently have a plan in place, or don’t know where to begin, we have the 5 steps to create a plan and a template Emergency and Business Continuity Plan.

Business Insurance

This is also a good time to review your business insurance to confirm whether or not you have wildfire coverage. Many insurance plans claim to cover fire damage, however in some cases this is only applicable to fire that was caused by the actions of the business or arson. Often, “acts of nature” are not included in business insurance plans unless specifically requested. Contact your business insurance provider today to ensure that your business is covered. If not, you may still be able to add this coverage.

Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) – Virtual Community Assistance Mobile Pavilion 

  • Team of trained experts on hand to answer general inquiries about home, business, or vehicle insurance policies.
  • Residents may contact Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC (1-844-227-5422) 

Support for Entrepreneurs and Economic Development Policy (SEED)

SEED has been expanded to allow for contributions of up to $5,000 to offset operational costs incurred by wildfire-affected businesses. These supports are temporary additions to SEED and will be accessible until March 31, 2024. Details on how to apply will be available this week.

Evacuee Income Disruption Support Program

The Evacuee Income Disruption Support Program provides financial support to individuals 17 years of age and older who have experienced a disruption in employment of more than 7 days due to evacuation. Self-employed individuals and those who own small businesses may also apply. Eligible individuals can receive a one-time payment of $750. 


If your business is affected by the wildfire, your employees will need the ability to collect Employment Insurance (EI). If you currently pay into EI, you will need this ability as well. To be prepared for this potential necessity, or to file an application, please visit this link.

Temporary Foreign Workers

Impacted employers who employ temporary foreign workers should note that periods of work stoppage, unemployment, or a weekly hour reduction, can be offset by periods of work that enable a worker to have an average of 30 hours per week over the entire employment period. 

Employers who make the business decision to keep workers are expected to make up any income gaps if the circumstances prevent a worker from meeting a 30-hour average work week over the employment period. This may require an employer to top up workers’ pay to meet the average of 30 hours per week over the employment period. This is not required during weeks where workers receive income supports. 

Temporary foreign workers are subject to provincial and, when applicable, federal employment regulations. Employers can legally layoff workers should a work stoppage make it impossible for the employer to fulfill their obligations under the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). However, under these circumstances, employers remain responsible for fulfilling other obligations under the LMIA, such as providing return airfare to workers where this is a Program requirement.

Should this not be feasible, if you have any questions, or need help with the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, please contact the Employer Contact Centre

Work-sharing Program

The Work-sharing Program has put special measures in place for businesses impacted by the wildfires. These measures are in place from June 25, 2023, through to November 4, 2023, for new, existing, and past (terminated an agreement within the past 28 weeks) employers who:

  • Are located in affected areas and/or
  • Have major customers and/or suppliers located in wildfire-affected areas

Work-Sharing Wildfire Special Measures flexibilities:

  • decrease in business activity can be attributable to the Wildfires
  • mandatory cooling-off period between Work-Sharing agreements is waived
  • work reduction over the life of the agreement may exceed 60% but must be at least 10%
  • recovery measures may focus on the business’ recovery from the impact of the Wildfires

More information is available on the Work-sharing Program website or by e-mailing 

For your house/personal

Home Insurance

Just like business insurance, you will want to get in touch with your home insurance provider to ensure that your house is covered for wildfire damage. This is much more common to be included in home insurance, however, it is always best to confirm. Additionally, if you have non-catalogued goods in your house that you would like insured (that you would not be able to bring with you in an evacuation), now is a good time to do so. Take a picture of the item and receipt (if available) and write a description.

Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) – Virtual Community Assistance Mobile Pavilion 

  • Team of trained experts on hand to answer general inquiries about home, business, or vehicle insurance policies.
  • Residents may contact Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC (1-844-227-5422) 

Emergency Evacuation Plan

Information on the Evacuation Order and other resources can be found on the GNWT website. Wildfires can move fast. If you have kids, pets or a significant other, it is important to have an emergency evacuation plan in place, including: multiple evacuation routes planned (should one be closed), a house exit strategy, plus “ditch kits” (i.e., an overnight bag prepared in case you need to grab and run, including non-perishable foods and water). Know where you are going to go. Do you have family or friends you can stay with? Call them now to confirm so you don’t have to scramble and fight for hotel space. Having a plan in place will help you to maintain your calm and be prepared.

Evacuation Travel Support Program

The Evacuation Travel Support Program will provide financial support to NWT residents who were forced to evacuate due to the wildfires. One-time payments will be made:

  • $750 per vehicle evacuated to a southern jurisdiction; or
  • $400 per vehicle evacuated within the NWT

Information on how to apply will be available in the coming days. 


CMHC encourages homeowners to contact their financial institution at the first sign of difficulty to discuss their individual situations and options.

CMHC provides lenders with options for homeowners that may be impacted by these unfortunate events including:

  • Deferral of payment
  • Re-amortization of the loan, to result in lower payments
  • Capitalization of outstanding interest arrears and other eligible expenses
  • Special payment arrangements
  • A combination of the above

For more information, homeowners may consult “How to Deal with Mortgage Payment Difficulties”.

Trip Planning

If you are planning to drive in the NWT, you will want to ensure that your route is safe. Monitor official sources such as the NWT Department of Environment and Natural Resources, the local news, and wildfire tracking websites for real-time information on fire locations, sizes, and containment efforts. During wildfires, roads can be closed without notice, please reference this map, in real time to see if the wildfires will affect your trip.

Other questions not addressed here

The NWT Government has a webpage dedicated to wildfires and what to do/what you need to know. There is information here to help you in case of emergency.

Where to get information

NWT Fire Facebook page
NWT Fire X (formerly Twitter) feed
Government of Northwest Territories Notice, Alerts, and Orders
NNSL Media Wildfires Page