The Ministry of Labour (MOL) has made Health and Safety Awareness training mandatory for workers and supervisors as of July 1, 2014, in Ontario workplaces. Employers have to keep proof that this has been done in the event of a Ministry of Labour inspection.
Below is a list of resources and requirements:
- Employers should read the Employer Guide to Worker Health and Safety Awareness in 4 steps to understand their responsibilities.
- Employers should also read the Employer Guide to Supervisor Health and Safety Awareness in 5 steps to understand their responsibilities.
- Supervisors should complete the eLearning* module for supervisors. It takes 45-60 minutes to complete the module in order to obtain the certificate or alternatively,
- Complete supervisor workbook and print it off as proof they have taken the training; or
- Order hard copies of the workbooks by calling Service Ontario at 1 800-668-9938. There is no charge.
- Employees should complete the eLearning* module for workers. It takes 45-60 minutes to complete the module in orer to obtain the certificate; or alternatively
- Complete the worker workbook and print it off as proof that they have completed the training; or
- Order hard copies of the workbooks by calling Service Ontario at 1-800-668-9938. There is no charge.
* Please note that some of our members have experienced technical problems in obtaining the certificate with the eLearning modules. Below is an excerpt from an email we received from the Ministry of Labour after we raised the problem with Ministry staff:
"Videos in the eLearning modules are hosted on YouTube and on a Ministry of Labour server. If you experience issues with any of the YouTube videos (initial video format), please select the Alternate Video Format button - you will be redirected to that video hosted on the Ministry of Labour server. This will not impact your progress in the eLearning module. Please note: navigation is temporarily disabled when the videos are active. Once the videos are watched in their entirety navigation is restored. Attempting to ‘fast-forward’ through the videos may result in the module not functioning as designed.
The awareness eLearning modules should take approximately 45 to 60 minutes to complete. Please ensure that any ‘Pop-up’ blocking functionality is disabled in your web browser, as this can negatively impact the downloading of the eLearning certificate.
If the internet connection is lost at any time while taking the eLearning modules, the program may not load all the necessary parts required to proceed to the next page. A constant internet connection is required to complete the occupational health and safety eLearning modules for worker and/or supervisors."
Please Note: There are very specific record keeping requirements for the training.
To order printed copies of the “Worker Health & Safety Awareness in 4 Steps” workbook or the “Supervisor Health & Safety Awareness in 5 Steps” workbook free of charge, please contact ServiceOntario at 1 800 668-9938. Once completed and signed, these workbooks act as a record of completion of MOL occupational health and safety awareness training. You may also download these workbooks from the Ministry of Labour website.