The Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP) consists of multiple loan programs aimed at helping a range of businesses impacted by COVID-19. The Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) and Export Development Canada (EDC) work together with eligible financial institutions to offer you solutions through your regular financial institution (banks and credit unions). This program includes administration of the CEBA, Mid-Market Financial loan guarantees and co-lending programs for small and medium-sized enterprises.
Most recent update:
|Program Overview|| FAQ
|Program||Application Deadline||Amount Available||Who Can Apply||How to apply|
|CEBA (Canada Emergency Business Account)||June 30, 2021||Up to $60,000||Businesses impacted by COVID-19||Through your business banking institution|
|BDC Co-Lending Program for small and medium-sized enterprises||June 30, 2021||Between $1 million and $12.5 million||Businesses who were directly or indirectly impacted by COVID-19||Through your business banking institution|
|EDC Loan Guarantee for small and medium-sized enterprises||June 30, 2021||Determined by your financial institution||Businesses who need working capital to cover operational costs due to COVID-19||Through your business banking institution|
|BDC Mid-market Financing Program||June 30, 2021||Between $12.5 million and $60 million||Medium-sized businesses impacted by COVID-19 and/or the decline in oil and gas prices||Through your business banking institution|
|AccordExpress||June 30, 2021||Between $20,000 and $250,000||Small Businesses only||Through Accord Financial|
What is the Canada Emergency Benefit Account (CEBA)?
CEBA: an interest-free loan of up to $60,000. If you repay the balance of the loan on or before December 31, 2022, 25% of the loan will be forgivable (up to $10,000).
CEBA Expansion: an additional interest-free loan of up to $20,000 for businesses who already qualified for the CEBA loan. If repaid by the deadline, up to $10,000 will be forgivable.
For more information, please visit our CEBA hub-page.
What is AccordExpress?
AccordExpress provides loans between $20,000 and $250,000 to small businesses who have been negatively impacted by COVID-19.
- In business and registered/incorporated for at least 12 months
- The business and each shareholder must have an average or better credit profile, and will provide personal guarantees
- Have a business-only bank account
- Business has been negatively impacted by COVID-19
- Each shareholder has a unique e-mail address and cell phone number (for e-signature of documents)
- Either a 36-month term loan or a 48-month term loan.
- Interest-only during the first 6 months. The first 6 months’ interest payments will be deducted from your loan advance. Blended payments of interest and principal start in month 7. This minimizes the cash-flow impact on your business.
- Can be repaid at any time within your term loan without penalty
- All loans must be personally guaranteed by all shareholders (owners) of the business.
- All shareholders must sign the application form.
The loan can be used for:
- Inventory Purchases
- Working capital to bridge the gap between invoicing and payment
- Scheduled debt servicing payments
- Operating expenses
- Purchase of capital assets required to adjust to operating during COVID-19
For more information, and instructions on how to apply, please visit the AccordExpress website or call Accord at 1-844-982-3010.
What is the EDC Loan Guarantee for Small- and Medium-sized Enterprises?
Through the loan guarantee program, EDC will guarantee 80% of new operating credit and cash flow term loans that financial institutions extend to SMEs, up to $6.25million. The program cap for this new loan program will be a total of $20 billion for the export sector and domestic companies.
- You do not need to export to access this program
- There will be additional eligibility requirements through your financial institution
- The following are not eligible:
- Government organizations and bodies
- Non-profit organizations, charities, unions, fraternal benefit societies or orders
- Entities owned by a Federal member of Parliament or Senator
- Entities that promote violence, incite hatred or discriminate on the basis of sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, colour, race, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or mental or physical disability
- The loan must be used to finance business operating costs and cannot be used to repay or refinance existing debt
- Further restrictions for oil and gas companies
- The guarantee is for new operating lines of credit or new term loan
- The size of the loan or line of credit is determined by your financial institution
- EDC provides a guarantee for the majority of the money borrowed
Applications for the Loan Guarantee program should be made through your financial institution. Please contact your account manager for more information.
What is the BDC Co-Lending Program for Small- and medium-sized Enterprises?
The co-lending program provides additional liquidity support to Canadian businesses. Eligible businesses may obtain incremental credit amounts up to $6.25 million, 80% of which would be provided by BDC, with the remaining 20% coming from a financial institution.
- Your business was directly or indirectly impacted by COVID-19
- Prior to the pandemic, your business was financially viable
- You will use the financing solely to support operational cashflow requirements
- Your financial institution may have further eligibility criteria
- Commercial loans between $1 million and $12.5 million
- To be used for cashflow needs, including regularly scheduled debt servicing
- Can postpone principal payments for up to 12 months
Applications for the Co-Lending Program should be made through your financial institution. Please contact your account manager for more information.
What is the BDC Mid-Market Financing program?
The Mid-Market Financing Program provides loans between $12.5 million and $60 million for medium-sized businesses impacted by COVID-19 and/or the recent decline in oil and gas prices.
- Your business must have been financially viable before the pandemic
- Your business must have been directly or indirectly impacted by COVID-19 and/or the decline in oil and gas prices
- Your business needs more credit than is available through the Co-Lending program or other programs
- Loans between $12.5 million and $60 million
- Loans provided jointly by BDC and your financial institution
- Principal to be repaid as a lump sum after 4 years
- Interest for first 12 months will be capitalised and due at maturity
Applications for the BDC Mid-Market Financing Program should be made through your financial institution. Please contact your Account Manager for more information.
Will my credit union be able to provide the Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP)?
How do I access the Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP) through EDC?
EDC is stepping up to support all exporting companies by offering their bank a guarantee on loans of up to $5M so that companies can access more cash immediately. For more details, contact your financial institution.
Can the Co-Lending Program be combined with other products from the Business Credit Availability Programs (BCAP)?
Yes, this is possible. Speak to your primary lender to find out which combination is right for you.
Aside from Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP), how else is EDC helping?
For credit insurance customers, EDC understands how difficult this time is and therefore effective immediately EDC will:
- Cover losses for goods shipped even if the buyer has not accepted the goods, subject to terms.
- Waive the 60-day waiting period for claims.
Where can I access information or get customer Support from EDC?
- If you’re new to EDC and are seeking more information, please call 1-800-229-0575 or contact them here.
- Current EDC Customers who need working capital and financial solutions should contact their account manager.
- Existing EDC customers who need assistance with insurance products and online portals should contact 1-866-716-7201 and [email protected].
- If you only sell products and services within Canada, other Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP) partner financial institutions are here to help you. Contact the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) at 1-877-232-2269 as a first step to see how they are helping businesses like yours.
CFIB members get one-on-one advice from our business counsellors, exclusive access to helpful webinars, weekly email updates, and a voice in the support measures we push for from the government.
CFIB members: Get in touch today.
Not a CFIB member? We want to support you during this crisis. With a FREE temporary CFIB membership, you can access the same benefits and supports as a CFIB member.GET YOUR FREE TEMPORARY MEMBERSHIP
Our primary concern at CFIB is making sure you have the support you need to get through this uncertain and challenging time. We provide you with expert advice and ensure that you have all of the latest information on government announcements and available support.Visit our Help Centre