Collecting overdue accounts in Saskatchewan

Are you having trouble getting paid for your goods or services?

Do you need some new ideas to collect outstanding account receivables?

Resources and services are available to help you with this important task.

Where do I begin?

CFIB Members can access a collection letter templates in the Member Portal.

Success in receiving payment on overdue accounts is often achieved when you consistently follow your company's credit and collection policy. If you do not have a plan in place, develop one that meets your cash flow needs.

You can read the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)'s 10 tips to collect bills more effectively.  

A plan usually defines timelines for when different tools are used to realize payment. Tools can include phone calls to the customer, collection letters, Small Claims action, hiring a Collection Agency, and so forth. No matter which collection tool is used, be professional at all times and maintain a pleasant and respectful demeanor.

Is Small Claims Court an option?

If the amount is less than $30,000 you may want to file a claim at the Saskatchewan Small Claims Court. To learn more, visit Saskatchewan Provincial Court, and read the FAQs

Should I hire a Collection Agency? Where do I find one?

If you do not wish to launch a legal proceeding through the Small Claims Court, you could recover your money by hiring a collection agency. Agents' fees for service are often a percentage of the outstanding debt they collect. Search collection agencies on the Yellow Pages website.

Can a lawyer help? If I do not have a lawyer, how can I find one?

Legal counsel is important to ensure your company's credit and collection policy complies with relevant legislation.

SK Startup Institute’s Ask an Expert – You can book a 45-minute phone or video meeting with a lawyer for $25 plus GST.

Law Society of Saskatchewan – Although they do not provide legal advice or lawyer referrals, you can search their web site for a lawyer.