Skip to main content

Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) – What you should charge

The Ontario Ministry of Finance and the Canada Revenue Agency holds you responsible for collecting and remitting GST/HST, as well as charging the correct amounts.

Are you in compliance with HST?

If you have a Status Indians/First Nations customer, what should you do?

Status Indians, Indian bands and councils of an Indian band are entitled to an exemption from paying the eight per cent Ontario component of the HST on qualifying property or services at point-of-sale.

Do you require further assistance?

For Ontario specific tax questions, contact the Ontario Ministry of Finance for a tax ruling at 1-866-668-8297.

For federally related questions on GST/HST, contact the GST/HST Rulings Department which provide expert advice and direction on the application of the GST/HST tax by calling at 1 800-959-8287.

It is highly recommended that you hire an accountant that is familiar with your particular industry.

Related Documents