Hiring co-op students is a cost-effective strategy for small businesses looking for motivated, qualified staff. These programs give students the chance to apply their classroom knowledge to a work setting and gain hands-on experience.
Your business can benefit by:
- Accessing a pool of highly skilled and qualified individuals
- Reducing your recruitment and training costs
- Filling temporary or short-term staffing
- Developing and training your future employees
- Building your company’s reputation as a leader in your sector
- Gaining fresh ideas from the students
Placements are typically four month terms, depending on the discipline, and begin in May, September, and January.
Employers hiring co-op students and graduates may be eligible for up to $5,000 per student from the Paid Work Experience Tax Credits.
Co-op programs are offered in many disciplines:
- University of Manitoba:
Agriculture and Food Sciences,
Environmental Studies and Sciences, Physical Geography,
- University of Winnipeg:
- Red River College:
Business Information Technology, Chemical and Biosciences Technology, Civil Engineering Technology, Greenspace Management, Hospitality, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Technical Communications, Cabinetry and Woodworking Technology
- Canadian Mennonite University:
Your journey in hiring a co-op student starts by visiting the above hyperlinks.
CFIB’s Business Counsellors are available to answer CFIB members’ questions. Call 1-888-234-2232 or send an email to [email protected]