Training your employees? Apply for the Canada-Alberta Job Grant! | CFIB
The Canada-Alberta Job Grant is an employer-driven approach to help develop the skills of new or existing employees to help them meet the requirements of their present job, or to move into a better job.
Eligible employers are required to contribute one-third of the total training costs. Government contributes two-thirds of the cost to a maximum of $10,000 per trainee, available to help Albertans enhance their job expertise.
What is required of the employer?
Who can apply for the grant?
- All private sector and non-profit employers in Alberta
- First Nations and Métis Settlements in Alberta
- Some Crown agencies in communities with population less than 100,000
Who is an eligible trainee?
- New or existing employees that will fill current or future job vacancies
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or protected persons under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) entitled to work in Canada who are currently residing in Alberta
Are there ineligible trainees?
- Temporary Foreign Workers, or anyone temporarily working in Canada
- Self-employed individuals, company owners and their immediate family members, board or council members
- A person who will not be employed by the applicant after the training program is completed
Are there requirements on training providers?
- Must be eligible Alberta third-party training providers who are separate and distinct from the employer
- An explanation must be provided to justify out-of-province training requests
What training programs are considered eligible?
- Training must be incremental, meaning that the training is in addition to the employer’s regular operational training, and would not have otherwise taken place without the grant
- Must result in a credential
- Apprenticeship technical training programs are not considered eligible
Training duration and format
- Minimum 21 hours of training must start within 6 months of approval and be completed within 52 weeks of start date
- Training cannot start until grant is approved
- Training can be e-learning, part-time, full-time, on-site or in a classroom and must result in a form of credential
Where can I learn more? How do I apply?
You can read the Canada-Alberta Job Grant - FAQ, or contact email@example.com, or phone 780-638-9424 within Edmonton, or toll-free 1-855-638-9424. Applications are available at: AlbertaCanada.com/jobgrant.