Understanding employee vs. self-employed contractor status in Manitoba

If you hire someone under a contract relationship, no matter what your written or verbal contract may state, it is important to know contract relationships can be viewed differently by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), the Workers Compensation Board and Manitoba Employment Standards. These agencies’ decisions determine if the company or the individual is responsible for source deductions (EI, CPP and income tax), WCB premiums and what is protected by Manitoba Employment Standards laws.

CFIB has published insight from all three perspectives:

The mistake of inappropriately classifying your hire could be costly. Minimize your risk by knowing the rules so your firm is in compliance.

Still have questions?

CFIB members can contact a CFIB Business Advisor at 1-888-234-2232 or cfib@cfib.ca.