Assessing workers’ compensation in Canada
The performance of provincial workers’ compensation systems is the focus of CFIB’s second edition of its Small Business Workers’ Compensation Index.
Findings at a glance:
- New Brunswick has the overall top-performing system in Canada
- Alberta’s system improved its ranking the most
- British Columbia’s system experienced the largest drop in rankings.
Some key CFIB recommendations:
- Abandon expansion of mandatory coverage
- Introduce waiting period (deductible) to discourage frivolous claims
- Maintain a funding position between 100% and 110%. If funding ratio exceeds 110%, then reduce premiums or return surpluses to employers.
- Improve customer service, and introduce a Fairness Code for Employers
- Keep costs and the amount of paperwork reasonable for employers
Is your province's workers' compensation system falling down on the job? Find out by reading the full report.