All employers in Ontario are required to take every reasonable precaution to protect worker safety, including health and safety instruction and supervision.
The most effective way to ensure worker safety is to have a health & safety plan in the workplace.
- Post the Health and Safety at Work: Prevention Starts Here poster.
- Create a health and safety policy (open with Chrome)
- Creating a health and safety program varies from workplace to workplace. The following is a basic list provided by the Ministry of Labour of elements that may be included in your program:
- Worker training (e.g., new workers, WHMIS, new job procedures)
- Workplace inspections and hazard analysis
- Analysis of the accidents and illnesses occurring at the workplace
- A health and safety budget
- A formal means of communication to address promptly the concerns of workers
- Confined space entry procedure
- Lock out procedure
- Machine guarding
- Material handling practices and procedures
- Maintenance and repairs
- Protective equipment
- Emergency procedures
- First aid and rescue procedures
- Electrical safety
- Fire preventionEngineering controls (e.g., ventilation)
Additional Steps The Work Safety and Prevention Service, an approved health and safety provider in Ontario, has the following resources: