Double your money for another year under the WSIB’s Health and Safety Excellence program
The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) is giving smaller businesses more time to take advantage of bonus incentives to make their workplace safer, while boosting their bottom line.
The Health and Safety Excellence program benefits, first announced earlier this year, are now available through 2023, meaning smaller businesses can:
- Receive $1,000 towards the cost of signing up and developing an action plan with a WSIB-approved provider of health and safety topics in both 2022 and 2023; and
- Earn double the rebate for topics completed in their action plan in both 2022 and 2023 (most small businesses will receive $1,000/topic, and that gets doubled!)
Is my business eligible for the incentives?
Any smaller business that meets the following criteria is eligible:
- 1-99 full-time employees
- Enrolled in the program with a WSIB-approved provider
- Has an approved 2022 and/or 2023 health and safety action plan
How much can I receive?
Businesses can receive $1,000 per completed topic or a maximum of 100% of their WSIB premiums for the last year, and the cap is $50,000 per topic. Businesses can complete up to five topics in their action plan per year.
Smaller businesses only (1-99 full-time employees) can earn double the health and safety rebate noted above, plus $1,000 sign-up support for their health and safety action plan in 2022 and 2023.
If you completed your action plan for 2022, you can re-enroll with a new action plan and continue to double your rebate for completed topics until December 31, 2023.
For assistance in calculating your estimated rebate, email email@example.com.
How do I join the WSIB’s Health and Safety Excellence program?
Start by selecting and registering with a WSIB-approved provider.
How and when do I get the $1,000 sign-up support and rebate?
- The $1,000 sign-up cheque will be sent to your business after your action plan has been approved by your provider.
- The rebate will be paid on a quarterly cycle after your business’s action plan is closed (i.e., after your topics are validated as having been completed). Rebates are issued by cheque, unless your business owes money to the WSIB (owed amounts are subtracted and remaining money, if any, is sent via cheque).
Where can I find the list of program topics?
The program includes 36 topics spread across three levels: Foundations, Intermediate, and Advanced. Rebates are provided for completed topics only, and each topic takes about six months to one year to finish. Find out more here.
In addition to financial rewards, how else can this program help me?
As you complete your safety levels, the WSIB will provide you with a digital membership badge that you can add to your website, email signatures, vehicles, and your health and safety board. You can also add them to your marketing materials to promote your business as a safe workplace to give your customers and partners peace of mind. A digital badge will also appear when someone looks you up using the WSIB’s Safety Check feature.
Where can I get more information?
Contact the WSIB for further assistance at 1-800-387-0750, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call CFIB’s business helpline (1-833-568-2342) to find a WSIB Health and Safety Excellence program specialist in your area.