We often hear from members about the difficulties they are having when it comes to dealing with the CRA. In recent years, and due in no small part to CFIB lobbying, CRA has added tools and resources aimed specifically at small businesses like yours:
- Payroll guides updated to clarify rules around family members and EI
- Steps for understanding payroll deductions and contributions.
- Improving the audit experience and ensuring consistency through better auditor training and getting feedback directly from small business owners through a post-audit survey.
- Podcasts on topics such as payroll, taxable benefits and CPP
- CRA Business Tax Reminders – is a tool for businesses to create custom reminders and alerts for key due dates related to instalment payments, tax returns, and remittances.
- CRA BizApp – a web app for small business owners and sole proprietors
- A series of “how-to” videos covering everything from the small business deduction to GST to avoiding penalties.
- Allowing T4 information slips to be provided to employees in electronic format.
Here are some of the initiatives they’ve launched to help small businesses deal with the tax man.
Following consultations in late 2016, CRA issued a report entitled Serving You Better, which contains more in-depth information on the positive changes CRA is looking to make. You can also contact your Counsellor if you have any questions.