Managing your employees during Covid maybe the most challenging thing a business owner has ever had to do, especially now with children returning to school, flu season approaching, social gatherings, etc. but still need to keep your business open and running.
Here is some information to help relieve some pressure on businesses such as yours during times when you have an employee who must self-isolate, or must stay due to an ill child.
Work from home
A good untapped resource during this time is use of Temp Agencies. They take care of everything to do with this individual. From finding the right fit for your business, to paying their salary, all you need to do is pick up the phone and make the call.
These are just a few examples of local agencies:
- Adecco Staffing Agency
- Diversified Staffing Services
- About Staffing
Managing employees during the COVID-19 pandemic can be challenging as many symptoms under the umbrella for COVID-19 can also be symptoms of a cold, allergy or flu. It is essential to follow a few specific steps to protect the health of your employees and customers.
We would like to introduce the three c’s of the Contingency plan:
• You can expect increased employee absenteeism as Canadians try to distinguish the common cold and COVID-19
• Establish cleaning guidelines and process for cleaning and disinfecting all public areas and workspaces
• Ensure an Employee Attendance Policy is secured so everyone has a clear understanding on when to stay home or self-isolate
• Be sure to have stock of PPE for staff and visitors
• Monitor and maintain all records of illness or incidents as it relates to pandemic i.e. sick days, hazard reports, incident reports, HR records etc.
• Plan for "refusal to return to office" scenario
• Provide mental health support for counseling needs and stress management via current benefit provider or utilizing mental health resources provided by credible sources
• Make regular contact with you Occupational Health and Safety officer to ensure your office is running up to code
• Having the stamp of approval can help reassure employees are entering a safe and clean environment
• Training your employees at their colleagues’ duties and responsibilities can help ease the squeeze when you find yourself with unexpected absences. They don’t need to know all the specifics, but enough to keep the machine moving in the short term!