Are you hiring your first employee? Congratulations! Now what?

Are you a budding entrepreneur in B.C. preparing to hire your first employee? Here are some of the steps you should consider.

Letter of Offer

We recommend that you establish the foundation for employment with your company by providing your new employee with a letter outlining the terms of their employment.  CFIB has a sample Letter of Offer which you can customize to your situation. Your new employee should sign the letter, confirming that they understand and accept what your company is offering, the employee keeping the original and you retaining a copy on their employee file.  

Employment Contract

CFIB has helpful information when hiring an employee, including a sample Employment Contract.  Be sure to look at "Reducing Employment Termination Exposure " .  Sometimes it may not be clear whether a worker is an employee or self-employed.  For clarification on this, please see the Canada Revenue Agency document Employee or Self-Employed  and the information CFIB collaboratively worked on with the BC government on the subject.


It is necessary to open an account with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for the payroll deductions you must make from your employee's pay cheque.  To open an account contact Canada Revenue Agency at 1 800 959-5525 or register online. You must have your employee complete a TD-1 form  in order to determine how much income tax to deduct. There is also the requirement for the BC Tax form.  You will also need to make the other required deductions from your employee's wages, such as Income Tax, Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan (CPP).  Some of these deductions have an employer's portion that must be paid. CRA has an on-line payroll deductions calculator  to help you determine these deductions.  

Workers Compensation and Occupational Health and Safety

You may need to open an account with Workers Compensation and pay premiums on behalf of your employee.  These premiums must be paid by the employer and cannot be deducted from the employee's wages.  To determine the requirements in BC please see the fact sheet produced by the BC WCB on "Do I have to register?" 

When you have employees, it is important to be aware of Occupational Health & Safety regulations in the workplace.  Check for information on Occupational Health & Safety in BC for guidelines or requirements or for an overview see CFIB's web post on the rules for all new and young workers in the workplace.  A call to your CFIB Business Counsellor can bring OH&S policy templates to your email address to help your business comply with legislation. 

Employment Standards  

As an employer you will need to familiarize yourself with Employment Standards, which are the rules governing an employee's employment with you. They include vacation pay, regular hours, when to pay overtime, breaks, general holidays and more. You can visit the BC Government Employment Standards webpage or see our various web posts on the most commonly asked Employment Standards questions.